Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Partner Landlords

What is a Housing Association?

Housing Associations are independent, not-for-profit organisations that provide affordable homes for people in need of housing. They are regulated by the Homes and Communities Agency.

Who Are Our Partner Landlords?

Sheffield City Council works in partnership with a number of housing providers within the city. A list of these partners as well as relevant contact details can be found here.

How Do I Apply for These Properties?

There are 2 ways to apply:

  • You can register with the Council’s Housing register and bid for Housing Association properties through Choice Based Lettings in the same way as you do for Council properties.
  • You can apply to some of the Housing Associations directly. Some keep their own waiting lists and allocate some of their properties independently, outside of the Choice Based Lettings process. There will usually be an application form to fill in, either online or as a paper form, for each Association you decide to apply to.

We work closely with Housing Associations to ensure that at least 50% of their properties which become empty are let to applicants on our Housing Register.

Housing Association properties advertised under Sheffield City Council’s Allocations Policy are subject to the usual 1 in 4 rule. This means that for every property advertised with preference being given to applicants with waiting time, the next three properties of a similar type, size and estate will be advertised with preference being given to applicants with a priority.

Housing Associations may apply their own eligibility rules. The property adverts give details about the Housing Associations' eligibility criteria. Some applicants that do not meet the Housing Association eligibility criteria may be able to place bids, but only households that meet the eligibility criteria will be considered. You should not bid unless your household meets the Housing Association eligibility criteria.

What Happens to my Registration?

If you are successful in obtaining a Housing Association property by means of a nomination from the Council, your application on the Council's Housing Register will be cancelled and you will be unable to re-apply for a period of 2 years.

If you accept a First Come First Served property offer from a Housing Association you will be entitled to have your original effective date re-instated should you re-register after 2 years.

If you apply directly to a Housing Association you do not need to be registered on the Council’s Housing Register.

You can apply directly to as many Housing Associations as you wish. You can also apply to Housing Associations and Local Authorities outside of Sheffield as well as being registered on our Housing Register.

Accessible Property Register

The Accessible Property Register works with Sheffield City Council, Sheffield Housing Company and the Sheffield Property Shop to identify and promote accessible and adapted properties in Sheffield. Please click on the link below for further information:

Return to the Top