Identification and References

Identification and References

Applicants are required to provide 2 forms of identification (ID) and a reference when applying to join the Housing Register. In short, you will need to provide:

  • One form of ‘primary’ ID for the applicant (and joint applicant). If this does not include a photograph, for example a birth certificate, we will also require a passport style photograph.
  • Proof of address for the applicant (and joint applicant).
  • One form of primary ID for each household member.
  • Proof of child benefit for all children aged 16 or under who are named on the application. This should be your most recent child benefit award letter.
  • A reference from a suitable person using the Sheffield City Council reference template. This will usually be your current or most recent landlord. Further information on references is provided below.

Note: If you are non-UK national, you may also be asked to provide proof of immigration status. We will let you know if this applies to you.

ID and references must be provided within 28 days of submitting your application online. You should take these to your local First Point or to Howden House. If we do not receive these, your application will be cancelled and you will need to re-apply. If you have any issues with providing the above, please contact us on 0114 205 3333 or 293 0000.

A full list of acceptable ID can be found below.

Sending Identification Digitally

If you are asked to send your identification to us digitally rather than by attending a local First Point or to Howden House, you should follow the guide attached below. This details how to send your ID to us including how to ensure we can accept your ID on the first attempt. If you have any issues with providing the above, please contact us on 0114 205 3333 or 293 0000.

Completing the Reference

References should be submitted using the Sheffield City Council reference template. If you are currently or have ever lived independently, Sections 1, 2 and 3 must be completed by your most recent landlord.

If you have never lived independently, you will need to contact us for an alternative form. This form must then be completed by someone who knows you in a professional capacity. This could be a support worker, social worker or employer.

Please contact us if you are unsure who should complete your reference or are unable to provide one.

SCC Reference Template - Word

Storing your ID and Reference

A copy of your ID will be taken and stored until you become a tenant. If you remain on the Housing Register for a substantial length of time, we may write to you requesting more recent ID. We will not usually store a copy of your reference therefore we advise that you retain a copy for your records in case you need to refer to it again in the future.

Return to the Top